Monday, June 18, 2007

Now THAT's tough...

Seems like our greatest stories of tragedy also provide intriguing insights into just how irrepressible the human spirit can be. I was reading through a news article about the rains in North Texas...a frightening prospect, if for no other reason than there was no real way to prepare for it. I mean, Katrina was bad for New Orleans...but they had dikes and levees, measures taken to prevent flooding which failed. North Texas is not a place that comes to mind readily when you talk about flood-prone areas.

But in the midst of hearing about the wreckage, the lives lost, and the chaos that resulted (granted, on nowhere near the scale of Katrina, but if you compare the number of people affected versus the cost of the effects, I'd be willing to bet this one would actually be pretty close), I stumbled across a little tidbit that made me go back and re-read the single sentence mentioning the event.

A firefighter was struck by lightning...but rejoined rescue efforts.

What? A guy was hit by millions of volts of electricity that could potentially have been hotter than the surface of the sun. And he got back up (not immediately, I'm sure) and went back out to help rescue people stranded on their housetops or any other high ground they could find.

That's what I call tough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home